Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Chestnuts Roasting on an (Almost) Open Fire

What does that phrase mean, anyway? I've lived my whole life without knowing that chestnuts, like many nuts, are things you can actually eat. My wife was in for the weekend, and we made our usual yearly trek to Oak Glen for apples. I love the food they have up there. Unfortunately, most if it is snacky and bad for you. And, when it's all you eat in a weekend, there is a good chance you can put on 5 pounds in 2 days... er, not that I did or anything... Anyway, we popped into our favorite place, Mom's Country Orchards, owned by the Laws. Grandson Peter was working the counter. Today he was roasting chestnuts on the old (turn of the century?) stove they have in their shop. He showed us how they pop when they're done, and how to break them open. And they were warm and buttery and wonderful. The lyric "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" now has fresh, new meaning for me... just in time for Hanukkah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home