Wednesday, December 22, 2004

No Children

I now know the moment I decided not to have children. It was last night at the precise moment I told my father that I can't afford a house. I could see the look in his eye, the look of a parent who, as most parents, would like to have their children do better than themselves. I know my grandparents were able to do that for my parents, and I'm sure my parents did the same for me during my childhood. But now I'm an adult, and the times have changed. The economy has changed. And I could detect a little disappointment in my father's eyes, and I knew I wouldn't want to look at my child that way, struggling with them while they're young, and watching them do perhaps worse than I have as the population grows and housing and life get more complicated. So, as of last night I decided - no children. I guess I should discuss this with my wife, but of course these feelings are always subject to change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home