Monday, March 28, 2005

Deer Crossing

One of the things I'm adjusting to is the abundence of wildlife in Maryland. We live near a forest-type park and there are always signs for deer. We have seen at least 12 deer in our neighborhood since moving in. When it snowed, we woke to deer tracks all over the backyard. And just 2 nights ago, we passed 7 deer between the supermarket and our house. In addition to the deer are the vultures, foxes (I haven't seen them, but only because I was the passenger and my eyes were shut), and raccoons (wow, that cat is walking weird... wait, that's not a cat!).

For an animal lover like myself, this is pretty neat stuff. However, along with deer comes deer crossings. We went to a friend's family for Easter, and they got on the subject of deer. I thought it bad enough when my realtor told me her boyfriend hit a deer, and at such a perfect angle that when they went back to inspect, the deer had just completely disintegrated. But we're sitting around a table with only 7 people, when all of a sudden they launch into their deer stories. One says he's hit a deer 3 times. Another chimes in that she's hit one, the other says her father hit one and it landed in the pickup bed, so they left it there because they didn't know what to do about it. One says their friend hit a deer on Halloween and it went through the windshield, spilling guts all over his passenger's costume. Now, I've heard they're overpopulated, but I was beginning to think this was just a wild group of young folk, when the mother (I'm guessing in her 60's) chimes in about the time she hit a deer... and asks her son if he remembers when she hit a deer 2 days after he did.

OUCH! So now I'm panicked. I do not want to hit a deer!!! But after a conversation like that, I was sure I was going to hit one on the way home. Their advice: Don't swerve, turn off your headlights, honk, and then (if unavoidable as it inevitably will be) just hit it.

3 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Adam R. said...

I've never hit a deer, despite the fact that I went to college in the middle of nowhere (deep in Virginia). And I spent quite a bit of time driving down secondary and tertiary roads.

I've only come close to hitting a deer once, and that was in California! (Had I reacted half-a-second later, I definitely would have hit him.)

So, you can hit a deer almost anywhere, but be careful.

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turn OFF your headlights? That seems a little scary...

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger hermitdeb said...

Yes, they said to turn OFF the headlights. You've heard the expression "caught like a deer in the headlights?" It's true. They freeze when they see the light coming. But if you turn them off and honk, apparently there is a chance they'll run away. I've been told, however, it's a small chance, and to be prepared to hit it anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home