Friday, March 04, 2005

The Personality Test

Have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory test? (MBTI?) I've done it before, and today I did it again. I actually went on an interview where they provided the test to me. I always find it fascinating. Funny, they say people change over the years, and I've definitely felt some strong forces changing even in just the past 1 year, but my result was exactly the same as the last time. The interviewer even said she was surprised, not what she would have guessed from me based on our initial phone interview. I'm kind of right on the cusp of at least one category, and that can change the results a lot. But I'm amazed, despite this, how accurate it can be. I could have easily swayed to the other side in 3 of the 4 categories, upping my possible results to 8 of the possible 16. But the result I got fit. I read my summary, and in most all things it was pretty darn accurate. Apparently, the test is based on Carl Jung's theory of types, which I found particularly interesting since I just started reading about Jung recently. Very fascinating stuff. It's amazing his insight into people, and I would love to have a little more of that myself.


Now here's the kicker. Who can guess what personality type I am? And if so, who can guess what I felt it wasn't very accurate in? If you don't play, I won't say...

3 Comments:

At 2:58 AM, Blogger Adam R. said...

I'd guess that you're an INTP.

I'm pretty sure about the I and the T. I'm less sure about the N and the P.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger travis said...

ISFP. Maybe, ISFJ.

How'd I do?

Carl Jung said there were six different archetypes, which don't exactly correspond to the Myers-Briggs 16 combinations. If you haven't read Robertson Davies' Fifth Business, you should -- I think you'd really personally connect to the work, and it is based n Junian psychology.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger hermitdeb said...

Thanks for the info on Jung. I plan on reading more... and I'll look into Fifth Business, since I don't know what that is yet. And so far, Adam is the closest guess... really close. But the belief about the 16 combinations is that we are fluid and they are changing and so really, I guess to tell would be pigeonholing myself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home