Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Most Miserable Person on Earth

Today I've discovered that I'm the most miserable person on earth. At least, it's been brought to my attention that's what many people think of me. It's funny, because I don't feel that way. I think most of my life I haven't been great at emoting what I feel deep down, so I guess it should come as no surprise that I've been misinterpreted again. Today a friend of mine called and asked how everything was going. By the time I was done telling him, he said that I sounded depressed. My wife has been saying that as well. Yet, I don't feel depressed. Sure, there is nothing dynamic going on at the moment, but that does not mean I'm depressed. It just means life is moving on. I think I've only had one friend my entire life who really got me, understood what was really going on deep beneath the surface. Unfortunately, it seems, we've drifted apart. But the thing that was understood was that sometimes the things I take joy in are simple, and don't express well in conversation. And sometimes the most conversational topics are the least interesting.

For example, my wife thinks I hate where I've moved. Frankly, I think I could live most anywhere. Day to day life is the same most places I feel I could wind up. Get up, go to work, eat, do laundry, watch TV, go to sleep, get up the next morning, and do it all over again. When I said that's mostly what I've been doing, I got the usual sympathetic reaction. As if most people don't do these things? But the differences come in the details.

The weather: I said I was looking forward to spring and that I was cold. I never said I was depressed. I never said I hated the winter. But I do get cold and, like MOST of the people here, I'm ready for it to warm up. And once it gets sweltering in mid-summer, I will then be hoping for it to cool down, like most people. I enjoy the beauty of a snowfall, the colors of the fall, the warm sun on my face, the blooming of the flowers. I appreciate them all, and yet I don't think wanting to be a nice, cozy 72 degrees with a slight breeze for the majority of the time makes me unusual, or makes me depressed when I don't have it.

Work: First of all, I haven't even mentioned in my blogs to date that I even got work. I did. In fact, it was the first interview I went on when I arrived that offered me a position. And as expected, the job is not in my previous field. I told my friend the best thing about the job was the commute, and other than that it is just a job. Again, that's true. I wish I were fortunate enough to have a job that I love. Many people have that, and many others don't. My job is a) not very exciting, b) not using my abilities to their past, present, or future potential, c) paying the bills, and mostly just the bills. I would love to love my job. Since most of my waking hours are spent there, that would be incredible, no doubt. But if I'm not going to love my job, there is something else I want from it. I want to stop living to work, and begin working to live. That is one of the benefits of the job I found. I found a job close to work. I thought with all of the public transportation out here, that commuting would be easier than L.A., but I've found traffic out here to be just as much of a nightmare. In fact, I work with a guy who commutes 7 hours round trip every day. No, I'm not making that up. He must love HIS job! But my commute is relatively short. I work for a boss who recognized potential talent on a resume even with no background in his industry. I work for a company who treats their employees as adults, and has an admirable sick/holiday/vacation policy unlike any I've ever seen. So, I will continue to look for work that I will love, and that may or not pay me more to love it, but I will see this as an opportunity to have a life outside of work, and that's not too depressing, is it? (Now, I will admit that I haven't quite figured out what I want of this life outside of work, and that can indeed be a drag, but that's not necessarily depressing, and it's definitely its own blog for another time.)

Activities: I said daily I mostly just go to work, come home, sleep. I don't call people too often, have barely called anyone in fact since I've moved. Guess I haven't felt there is much to talk about. Those are just daily routine activities. Same as in L.A. or anywhere else. But don't get me wrong. We do get out. Heck, since I've lived here, I've gone to Baltimore twice, Philadelphia once, visited Calvert County in the far south of Maryland, been to Virginia, driven by the Pentagon, walked through the National Air & Space museum, been to the National Zoo, walked to the Jefferson Monument on the Tidal Basin to see the cherryblossoms in bloom(they haven't bloomed yet, but waiting until next weekend to try again - see, they don't like the cold & rain either!), saw the National Cherryblossom kite festival in front of the Washington Monument, visited Ford's Theater (where Lincoln was shot) and the Peterson House (where Lincoln died), went to the International Spy Museum, visited a Super Pet Expo in Dulles, and of course made more trips with less success to the Home Depot than anyone else I know. I've also had my car into the shop 3 times in the just less than 2 months I've lived here.

But as exciting as these activities are, they never seem like good conversation topics. I don't tend to remember all of the history or information most people want to hear about when they talk about such places or events. I usually remember that a butterfly flew past when we were walking up that hill, that a breeze almost pushed me into oncoming traffic as we waited for a signal to change, that a lady read a paper on the metro and from the headline I knew it was 2 months old. I feel and think and often live in my head. I cherish my thoughts and feelings as deep, but private. Sometimes their significance or emotion feels muted once I've let them outside of that personal space. I think that's why I often prefer writing to talking. When I write I don't feel like I've always let the cat out of the bag, even if I have just as much if not more so.

So, no, I don't think I'm depressed. Could I be happier? Heck, there's always room to be happier. But really the most depressing thing of all is to be so darn misunderstood. And if being misunderstood can make you miserable, than perhaps everyone is right about me. I'm the most miserable person on earth.

43 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger Adam R. said...

Wow! That was an incredibly insightful, wonderful entry. I can really relate to a lot of what you've written.

Congratulations on the job! I know that it's not your dream job, but congratulations anyway.

Are you still thinking about getting onto LiveJournal, by the way?

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger travis said...

I think it's not unreasonable for someone to think you're unhappy.

I can't help but notice you've just written a long post about your life without ever applying any of the words "like, love, fun, happy, job, exciting, good, glad, nice, better, joy, satisfied, pleased, pleasure, wonderful," or any other positive adjective to anything relating to your currently situation.

You described many amazing places that you'd seen, without in any way indicating that you liked them -- I guess you did say they were exciting, kinda.

I remember we had a conversation once about the difficulty in saying three sentences in a row that were unambiguously positive. Care to try that with your blog, and let others weigh in?

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger travis said...

After a moments thought, a clarificiation. I'm not saying your life isn't exciting, or that you SHOULD be depressed. Just the opposite, you have some really good things going for you and around you.

So, if you are enjoying your life (or parts of it), by not expressing this, you create an erroneous impression in others. Don't you think those around you -- spouse, friends, family -- should be exposed a bit to your internal happiness so they can share it with you?

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger hermitdeb said...

Adam- Thanks... And yes, I hope to eventually get on livejournal, but I'm finding less and less time to dedicate to learning how to use it... and I'd much rather get out and see the sights than be bogged down by the computer!

Travis- Wow, that was an eyeful! Perhaps I'm not so quick to let others weigh in when they feel like they have to hold me to their own standards. Just because some people express things one way does not mean there aren't other ways to be expressive, or other ways to be, in general. Perhaps you missed the previous "Tomorrow is Wednesday" post. I might not have used the phrase exactly as you would have "I am so excited and overwhelmingly happy that tomorrow is Wednesday because I'm excited and thrilled that the weather is finally going above average and that makes me happy." Nevertheless, I think people would get the idea... but I could be wrong. Needless to say, if people don't get that that is how I express things like that, then I've only futher proven the point that I am misunderstood. If you want me to use my blog to express things the same way you do, I'm sorry to say you'll continue to be disappointed.

And once, just to prove I can, but by no means under any obligaton, 3 things... then I return to doing things my way:

1) I just came home to a beautiful sunset, a cherryblossom tree blooming in my backyard, and a birds' nest with both mama and papa bird feeding their younsters right outside our bedroom window. The scenery and wildlife out here are amazing, and that makes me happy.

2) After 2 weeks of waiting, our free Sunrocket phone finally arrived in the mail, and I'm really excited about that.

3) Yesterday I fixed the fog lamp on my car all by myself... in the dark! I'm really proud of how handy I was in that moment.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger travis said...

You were the one who told me an excellent, and long-enduring piece of wisdom:

We judge ourselves on our intentions, and others on their actions.

I'm sorry I misinterpret you, even after all these years. I'll try to do better in the future. Practice makes perfect, right?

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good article. I'm facing a few of these issues as well..
Here is my webpage - wechsel zur privaten krankenversicherung

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When someone writes an article he/she maintains the thought
of a user in his/her mind that how a user can know
it. So that's why this article is perfect. Thanks!
Feel free to visit my blog - top 10 business ideas

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually when someone doesn't be aware of after that its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it happens.
My web-site - top stay at home jobs

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good answers in return of this question with genuine arguments
and telling the whole thing regarding that.
Feel free to visit my page :: kinderschuhe online

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a topic that's close to my heart... Cheers! Where are your contact details though?

Also visit my website - pkv voraussetzungen

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for every other informative site. Where else may I
am getting that type of information written in such a perfect approach?
I've a mission that I'm simply now working on, and I
have been on the look out for such information.

Take a look at my web site - highest paying affiliate

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your style is so unique compared to other folks I've read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you've
got the opportunity, Guess I'll just bookmark this page.

Look at my website: kredit online beantragen
my webpage: 24 Stunden Kredit

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to understand a lot about this,
such as you wrote the e-book in it or something.

I feel that you could do with some % to drive the message house a little bit, however instead of that, that is fantastic blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

My website: günstige online shop

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!


Feel free to surf to my homepage - bahamas all inclusive resorts

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I visit every day some sites and information sites to read articles,
but this webpage gives quality based content.

Review my site best affordable hosting

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really grateful to the holder of this site who has shared this enormous
post at here.

Review my web-site - selling clickbank products

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up to all, the contents existing at this web site are really awesome for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.

Here is my page krankenkassenwechsel
my web site :: private krankenversicherung freiberufler

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is wonderful, as well
as the content!

Look at my blog post krankenversicherung wechsel privat gesetzlich
Also see my website :: privat oder gesetzlich

 
At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact
enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

My blog post ... refinance for bad credit

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greate post. Keep writing such kind of info on your
blog. Im really impressed by your blog.
Hey there, You have done a great job. I will
definitely digg it and in my view recommend to my friends.
I am confident they will be benefited from
this web site.

Also visit my web blog hosting dedicated servers

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Piece of writing writing is also a fun, if you be acquainted with then you can write or else
it is complex to write.

My homepage: how to launch a business idea

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague
who was conducting a little research on this. And he actually bought me dinner
due to the fact that I stumbled upon it for him...
lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!
! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this issue here on your
blog.

My page ... online affiliate marketing

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello There. I discovered your blog using msn. That is a really
smartly written article. I will be sure to bookmark
it and come back to read more of your useful information.
Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.


Feel free to visit my blog damenschuhe kaufen online

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, after reading this remarkable piece of writing i am as well cheerful to share my experience here with friends.



My homepage ... freiwillig in der gesetzlichen krankenversicherung

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Appreciate the recommendation. Let me try it out.

Here is my webpage: private krankenversicherung preise

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless
I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in trading links
or maybe guest authoring a blog article or vice-versa?
My website addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel
we could greatly benefit from each other. If you might be interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog
by the way!

Also visit my blog: Krankenversicherung Gesetzlich

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

my page - test krankenkasse
My website: private krankenversicherung freiberufler

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know
a few of the images aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its a
linking issue. I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

Also visit my web-site site hosting

 
At 3:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I
in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much.
I'm hoping to give one thing back and help others like you aided me.

Here is my website: http hop clickbank net
My webpage :: clickbank complaints

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming having
a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very web savvy so I'm not 100% certain. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Feel free to surf to my homepage: making money on line

 
At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is required to get set up? I'm assuming having
a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% positive. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Kudos

Feel free to visit my web site: kleinkredite für arbeitslose

 
At 5:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.

Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

Here is my web blog :: free webhosting

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I simply say what a comfort to discover someone who actually understands what they are talking
about on the web. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it
important. More people need to read this and understand this side of
the story. I was surprised that you are not more popular since you certainly
have the gift.

Feel free to surf to my web-site :: seo Experts services
my webpage: pay per click search engine marketing

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My developer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on several websites for
about a year and am worried about switching to another platform.
I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can
import all my wordpress content into it? Any help would be really appreciated!



Feel free to surf to my web site seo internet

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there mates, its great article on the topic of educationand completely
explained, keep it up all the time.

Feel free to visit my blog: Forum private krankenversicherung

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you tell us more about this? I'd care to find out some additional information.

Feel free to surf to my web page: auf rechnung trotz schufa
my page :: ratenzahlung trotz schufa

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just desire to say your article is as amazing.
The clearness in your publish is just cool and that i can think you
are knowledgeable on this subject. Well together with your permission
let me to take hold of your RSS feed to keep up to date with impending post.
Thank you one million and please keep up the enjoyable
work.

my blog post: how to get a home equity loan

 
At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After checking out a handful of the blog posts on your
website, I truly appreciate your technique of blogging.
I added it to my bookmark webpage list and will be
checking back in the near future. Please check out
my web site as well and tell me what you think.

My website :: click the following document

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the best time to maκe some plаns for thе futuге and іt is time tο be happy.
I hаve гead this post аnd if
I could I wаnt to suggеst you few intereѕting
things or advіce. Perhaps you coulԁ wrіte neхt aгticleѕ referrіng to thіs article.
I wіsh to reаԁ mоre thingѕ about іt!


Feel fгee to surf tо my weblog :: raspberry ketone uk

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love your blog.. Excellent colors & theme.
Did you develop this web site yourself? Please reply back as I'm attempting to create my very own blog and want to know where you got this from or what the theme is named. Thanks!

Also visit my blog - weightloss help

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up, for all time i used to check blog posts here early in the break of day, as i like to learn more and more.

Here is my web-site :: http://telavivbeach.net/roslyn

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

obviously like your web-site but you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts.
Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to inform the
reality however I'll certainly come back again. ageless male - new vitality ageless male reviews - ageless male enhancement free trial

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unquestіonably belіeνe that ωhiсh you ѕtаtеd.
Υouг favoгite гeаѕon seemed tο be on the ωeb the ѕimpleѕt thіng to bе аwaгe of.
ӏ say to you, I certainly get annοyed ωhile pеople think about worrіeѕ that thеy рlainlу do not κnow about.
You managed to hit the nail upon the toρ
and defined out the ωhоle thing wіthout
having side-effects , people cаn takе a signal.
Will ρrobably be back to get mοrе. Thаnks

Visіt my web blog; pure green coffee extract

 

Post a Comment

<< Home