Friday, June 24, 2005

It's the Little Things...

I've mentioned many times how it's the little things that keep friends closer. Lately, I fell a bit disconnected from everyone. I'm missing the little things.

So, here's the deal. If you're reading this, you have hereby committed yourself to responding with one "little thing" that happened to you today. Here's my day so far:

- My wife (who is on her 2nd of 2 days off, after working two 24-hour shifts) didn't actually have today off at all. I woke up to find, as it turns out, she had to go to court. She didn't actually have yesterday off either, as she also had to go to court. She has also lost her voice, because 2 long shifts and no time off make it easy to get a cold.

- I got up late (as usual) and forgot that I had to take the trash to the curb since I didn't do it last night, thereby being even later to work.

- I was late to work again and, as usual, no one cared.

- I took a walk at lunch. I've felt heavier lately and sluggish. But the weather was BEAUTIFUL and I enjoyed the sunshine on my face.

- On my walk, I noticed how green the grass was, how beautiful the flowers are here, how blue the sky was, how clean the air was, how I felt better about things, how my head was getting clearer, and how much better my knee felt.

- Also on my walk, I heard a bird chirp directly above me. I stopped and it was on the branch directly over my head. I didn't want to scare it away, so I quietly walked further down the path. The bird hopped a couple branches closer as I walked. I stopped, the bird stopped. It jumped down closer. I walked forward, the bird walked forward. He was following me. We had a moment. I smiled.

- After the walk, I was warm, and glad my hair is long enough to put in a pony tail.

- I've taken to walking the stairs at work. I work on the 6th floor, but often have to walk to either the 4th or 11th floors. After about a week and a half of this, I think my thighs are finally getting slightly firmer. Once again today I noticed how I was glad my knee was better, so I could climb the stairs.

- I got up from my desk at work in the afternoon, and banged my (bad) knee into the side of it. I made a high-pitched squeal that my co-workers heard all across this section of my workplace. I didn't know weather to laugh or cry. I didn't do either, but I wanted to.

- Going home now... hoping to have a bike ride if my wife is awake and feeling up to it.

8 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger travis said...

One litle thing: I played a computer game for 11.25 hours.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger hermitdeb said...

Which game? And how were you able to do it for 11.25 hours straight? Do your eyes hurt?

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

Today is the 5th or 6th day I've had to stay home to wait for the repairman to fix our freezer. I really hope it gets fixed today because I really miss having ice cream!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger hermitdeb said...

I like ice cream. I'd be frustrated too. What flavor is the best?

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Rae said...

I'm intentionally leaving myself some paperwork to finish on Wednesday morning. I went out of my way to help a patient and stayed late at work to do so and now I'm going to finish my chicken curry salad and head home to watch Battlestar and the 4400.

Oh and I slept in a platform tent last night and came to work with really messy hair.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger hermitdeb said...

You probably think it's silly, but this is really great. I am totally enjoying hearing about these "little things." Thanks... keep 'em coming!

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger ForestRane said...

Sorry it took me a while to find this, but I'll play.

I signed up for a mosaics class today. It starts tonight. I'm not sure I needed another hobby, but it sounded like fun.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger julie hammond said...

the best thing so far today has been finding your blog! this is also my daughter's 37th birthday, how is that possible? i'm only 39 myself! LOL! i'm in richmond VA, not too far away from you. howz ur knee doin?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home