Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Night Lights

Yesterday was extremely hot and muggy. After work, I joined some co-workers for a game of kickball. I'm definitely getting older, but it was still fun, even with the beginning of another summer storm at the end of the game. Anyway, I'm driving home and I start seeing spots. I blink a few times and they go away, then reappear, then disappear. I'm feeling OK, but wondering if maybe I got dehydrated again. I get home and think of taking a nap, but I forgot an errand and have to run to the store. I start seeing spots again. On the way home, I'm sure I must need to lie down. Then I think, perhaps it's the street lights reflecting on the rain drops on my windows. Yeah, that must be it. I see the flashing lights out of the corners of my eyes. I'm definitely going insane. I arrive home and get out of the car, but now, without the drops on the windows to pacify me, I still see shimmering lights. Now they are across the street. Before going in the front door, I pause for a moment. I squint and try really hard to focus. I blink some more. And then it hits me... fireflies. Believe it or not, I've never seen them before. All evening I had to keep peeking out the window. So amazing, so brilliant, these "lightning bugs."

6 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger Adam R. said...

:)

When I took Mara on her first trip to D.C. (about three years ago), she was also riveted by the fireflies.

We were walking along Massachusetts Avenue NW. She stopped in her tracks and stared.

Initially, I didn't even realize what she was staring at. I did grow up in the D.C. area. So, I was pretty accustomed to seeing fireflies.

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Wendy said...

Very interesting to see them "through your eyes." I grew up in Virginia, so lightning bugs are a part of my childhood. They are one of the marvelous indicators that summer has arrived.

Got your "jab" about LJ, but just don't have much time for these days. Will write an email sometime soon though. Hope you and T are well and happy. J and I think of you often.

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Rae said...

I was starting to get worried as I read that! I love fireflies - they're so gorgeous in July in Maryland. Check out the song "Fireflies" by Allette Brooks (I may have misjudged the number of L's and T's in Allette's name).

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger travis said...

That's hilarious! I was also completely awe struck by the bugs in Susie's back yard -- went running around with a jar, even. They though I was weird, that the fireflies were "you know, neat" but a little gross. I thought they were magic. Catch one, it's not at all hot? It's a cold light! Amazing!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger hermitdeb said...

Yes, we're planning on grabbing a jar this weekend, I hope.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger ForestRane said...

It's amazing the things you forget if you've been away long enough. I have wonderful memories of chasing fireflies at night as a kid. They really aren't that hard to catch either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home